Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sick

So I'm kinda known as Ms. Hand Sanitizer. I carry it with me at all times and use it quite frequently. So of course this week I got sick. I started sniffling on Saturday (after being with a bunch of germ-carriers on Friday night at my son's football banquet at the most popular kid hangout in the county) but it was clear and just kind of annoying. By Sunday night, it had moved to my lungs and with my asthma, it's not a good combination. I made a call first thing Monday morning and they worked me in.

My PCP gave me a prescription for an antibiotic in the tetracycline family. I didn't realize it till I got home and was reading the insert that came with the prescription. Well sure enough, tetracycline is on my list of do not takes so I called my surgeon's office. The nurse conferred with another nurse and they agreed it was ok to take but double up on the prilosec. So I took the first one about 4:45 pm. It hurt my tummy SO bad. I had wave like cramps and could literally trace it as it went down my intestines. Took about 2 hours. I consulted OH for tips on the drug but got lots of hugs and no help. So I reread the directions. The first time I had taken calcium (via cheese) a short time before I took the first pill. I read that it could interact with the meds to not allow you to absorb and to take it on an empty stomach. So I listened and took it on an empty tummy with lots of water about 12:45.

OH.MY.GOD. I thought I was going to die. It hurt SOOOO fucking bad. I was in agonizing pain for 2 hours, pacing the house back and forth because it felt better to be walking than it did to lay down and brace through it. I decided that was it for that med and called the doctor this morning and told him to give me something else. He gave me a z-pack and lesson learned to avoid all tetracycline drugs in the future.

I'm feeling a bit better tonight after running the humidifier for three days straight, taking lots of robitussin and drinking lots of water. Vites haven't been too great but I think today I'll get them all in. I only have my multi left for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment